CALL US: 1-647-460-0400

Electrical problems can pose many dangers to the home and its residents. In fact, faulty wiring is a leading cause of electrical fires in residential properties. Even if your home is in relatively good condition, electrical problems can occur anytime. Sometimes the problem will start so small that you may not even notice it immediately. However, there are important signs that can help you know when it’s time to call in a professional. Being aware of these signs will help you take the necessary action and keep your home and family safe. 

Flickering Lights

Lights should never flicker. If they do, then there’s a problem with the light bulb or the electrical wiring. If you replace or tighten the bulb but the light still continues to flicker, you may have to call a professional electrician to check on what the problem is. It could be the wiring and you shouldn’t attempt to fix it yourself, especially if you don’t have the proper training. 

Warm Outlets

Are electrical outlets in your home warm to the touch when you plug or unplug devices? This could mean that heat is building up due to loose connections, which can cause a fire if not repaired immediately. You may have to replace the outlet to prevent the problem from getting worse. 

Tingling or Mild Shock

Never ignore that mild shock or tingling feeling you get when you plug or unplug an appliance from the outlet. This can indicate a ground fault or a problem with the wiring. 

Faulty Circuit Breaker

If your circuit breaker keeps on tripping this could be a sign that it is overloading. Keep in mind that breakers are designed to trip when overloaded in order to to avoid overheating that can then potentially start a fire. If this is happening, an electrician should be called to find the source of the overload, to fix it, and thereby prevent potential disasters.

Unusual Smell

It’s natural for a new appliance to emit a funny odor when being powered up. However, an outlet shouldn’t be producing an unusual smell whenever you use it. The same goes with the fuse box or a breaker panel. If you smell something off, avoid using it. Call a professional electrician to see where the smell is coming from.

These are only some of the signs that your house is having electrical problems. Check the outlets, the fuse box, the breaker panel, and the wiring around your house from time to time to spot problems before they get worse. It’s also best to schedule a regular professional inspection and ask your electrician for tips to ensure that your home is safe from potential electrical hazards.

8 Signs You May Have a Problem with Your Electrical Wiring,
The 4 Most Common Causes of Home Electrical Fires and How to Avoid Them,